While this wasn’t quite as good as the real thing, it was as close as I could get. And it was close enough to be delicious.
Recipe: Chicago-Style Hot Dogs
Adapted from Weber’s Real Grilling Cookbook
1 Medium Ripe Tomato, cut into ¼ inch slices
8 Hot Dogs
8 hot dog buns, poppy seed if you can find them (I wasn’t able to.)
1 jar Pepperoncini peppers
1 jar dill pickle spears
½ cup finely chopped yellow onion
½ cup sweet pickle relish
- Set grill to medium heat
- Grill hot dogs until browned, approximately 4-5 minutes, turning once
- When the hot dogs are nearly finished on the grill, put buns, cut side down, on the grill for approximately 30 seconds.
- Place two slices of tomato in the hot dog bun.
- Add one dill pickle spear
- Place grilled hot dog between the pickle and tomato
- Top with chopped onions, sweet pickle relish, pepperoncini peppers, yellow mustard, & a sprinkle of celery salt.