Recipe: Beer-Bathed Bratwursts with Sauerkraut & Apples
Adapted from Weber’s Real Grilling Cookbook
5 fresh bratwurst
1 yellow onion
1 Granny Smith apple
½ pound sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
12 oz. bottle of beer at room temperature - I used a Starr Hill Saison
3 tablespoons dijon mustard
1 teaspoon caraway seed
5 hot dog buns
- Set grill to medium heat
- Place bratwursts in a foil pan in a single layer.
- Cut onion & apple into ⅛ inch slices.
- Scatter the onions, apples, and sauerkraut over the bratwurst in the foil pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix the beer, dijon mustard, and carraway seed. Pour the beer mixture into the pan over the bratwurst.
- Place the foil pan on the grill for approximately 20 minutes, turning the bratwurst three times during the 20 minutes.
- Remove the bratwurst from the pan and place them directly on the grill to become nicely browned, approximately 2-3 minutes. Leave the pan on the grill as the mixture continues to cook.
- Once the bratwurst have browned to your liking, remove them from the grill and serve them warm in hot dog buns. Spoon the apple, onion, & sauerkraut mixture over the bratwurst on the hot dog bun.